Sniffling and Arguing

May 20, 2012

Lemon got us sick.  She came down with this BUG at the end of last weekend.  Sore throat, coughing, snotting, the works.  It seemed like she was getting better on Tuesday, but then on Wednesday, she felt horrible and stayed home from school.

I woke up knowing I was getting the bug on Wednesday, because my throat felt like it was full of 15 golfballs outlined in razor blades.  I was less than thrilled because on the schedule for Thursday was my first argument in Federal Court.

But sick, I was.  I had no chance to indulge it, though, because I really had to prep for the argument, around tasks for my 14 other cases.  I ended up working a 14 hour day on Wednesday, including at home until 10:30 when I finally collapsed into bed.  I rolled over at 4 a.m. on Thursday, and the moment I looked at the clock, I had outlines of the argument running through my head.  I tried to push them out and to get back to sleep, but at 4:30, I ended up getting out of bed and doing some laundry.  Doesn’t everybody do laundry at 4:30 a.m.?

I did manage to squeeze in another hour of sleep, but then I had to go to Mouse’s school for 8th grade graduation stuff, and then for the first time since I started this job, I drove to work.  Because of the proximity of the T to my house (I walk 3 blocks, and one of them is through a park), and to my office (across a brick plaza), I never drive.  But because of the argument, I had to drive to the Middle of Massachusetts, and it didn’t make sense to go back home to get the car at noon.  I spent the morning honing my outline and preparing further, and then drove out to the Central Division of the District of Massachusetts.

The argument went pretty well.  I had one point of law that I’d made in our motion, and the other side called it “bogus” in their opposition, and I knew it wasn’t bogus.  Maybe it was petty, and maybe it doesn’t matter in the end because they can easily amend their complaint to fix it, but it wasn’t bogus.  So I had to say something in my argument.  The judge kind of grabbed onto the argument, and pushed the other side for a good bit.  I think they will need to amend their complaint.  It’s a small win, but they called me bogus, so it felt good.

Adrenaline got me through the argument without much discomfort, even though I still had razor blades in my throat.  But once it was over, and we finished up a pow-wow with our co-defendants, and I got back in my car – man, I felt horrible.  Like I’d been hit by a truck.  I drove the hour and went straight home instead of back to the office.  I stripped off my suit and got in my bed at 4:45 p.m.  I almost slept through dinner, but ended up getting up and hanging out with the family for a little while.  I had a few moments while IN the bed that I had to respond to emails – at least once angrily because the other side tried to misconstrue a conversation we had on several occasions.  Not just one time.  Several times.  Geez.

I woke up feeling better on Friday, but then was very upset to get an email saying that – basically – my weekend was going to be spent working.



I like my job.  A lot.  It is really so much more fulfilling and exciting than the BigFirm job.  I have a lot more responsibility, I click better with the people, I like the overall atmosphere.  But man, I’ve been working a lot!   It looks like we’re hiring at least one more associate in the near future, because everybody is working a lot.  We are very busy, with new cases coming in every day.  It helps that none of it is busy work, or partner-stroking.  But it’s still exhausting.

I tried to get a lot done on Friday in hopes of avoiding the weekend work, but things were slow going.  And I was sniffling, sneezing and coughing my way through the day.  I went home at 5:30 with stuff in my bag, knowing I’d need to work at least one of the two weekend days.

But then on Saturday, I woke up feeling worse again.  I felt horrible all day long.  I didn’t work.  I slept in, I lazed around. I eventually went to Mouse’s soccer game, and I did feel better being outside and in the sun, but I wasn’t healthy.

Finally today I feel better.  I still have gunk in my chest, but I feel pretty good. And I’m drafting my complaint, and doing laundry, and I think I told Lemon I’d take her driving.  Yikes.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: